Monday, February 19, 2007

Desktop Publishing

After class I worked on some of my old handouts to see if I could use some of the new skillls that I learned to improve them. I added a watermark which contained an image of the Federal Depository Library Program logo to each one. I took the image from web and tried to slap it in as a watermark. Unfortunately, you are only able to insert a jpeg as a watermark. As a result, I used my version of PhotoShop to change the format to jpeg and insert it. The result was a very professional looking handout.

I have tried to use the “track changes” tool in the past. In a conference that I am preparing to present at, my co-speakers and I used it to write up a explanation of the presentation. The problem was that nobody was that nobody knew how to update and change the corrections. It ended up it was easier to print out all of our changes and then just retype the whole paper because of our lack of knowledge. The class session was helpful in learning how to utilize the function better.

The skills that I have learned has an impact on my educational technology definition and vision. knowledge of additional desktop publishing skills allows me to create flyers and handouts which are more professional and eye-catching. In the past, I created pretty plain handouts. These skills can also be used to create library database handouts which assist visual learners better though the use of text boxes and arrows. As a result, more indivdiuals learning preferences are met. Many of these skills are also transferrable to other software programs. As a result, the desktop publishing skills can be utilized in web design.

No comments: