Monday, February 19, 2007

Things I have pondered about

As I have been reading the class notes and Empowering Students with Technology by Alan November, I have thought about how technology could be utilized in both work and in the classroom. As I was reading about the RSS, I thought they were the same as wikis. After becoming involved with Bloglines, a RSS aggregator, I learned to think of them more as a newsgroup where individuals post on particular news stories.

However, in the workplace, a wiki would be a great place for colleagues to post comments about things they’ve learned and keep everyone informed as to what is going on in their departments. After doing some searching on the web, I found a free wiki creator that does not require downloads. The name of the website is pbwiki.

As I was reading Alan November’s book, I started to think about video conferencing. I’ve used a form of video conferencing in preparing for my presentation. The software that we are using is Elluminate. It allows us to talk together through microphones and write online to each other. We have even constructed a paper with it. The video conferencing is live so we have been able to discuss everything in real time. I spoke to a colleague about the values of the software. However, I was told that those types of are bandwidth hogs and are not as valuable at this time. However, I sometimes question that assumption if other higher education institutions are using it.

As I continued reading further in November’s book. I started to think about server space for creation of a Web site. Since I’m not made of money I started to look for places that allow you to have free server space. I had some difficulty locating those spaces. I know as a student I’m allowed to have free server space. However, I was thinking of locations for when I’m not a student. If anyone knows of a place I would be interested. I don’t know what I would put on it though. I’m just considering this as a learning process.

1 comment:

Testing said...

David,

Over 600 educational customers are using Elluminate for real-time collaboration, teaching and learning. I agree with your colleague that a product that is not designed well would be a bandwidth hog, but Elluminate is built specifically for educational institutions which often have remote, low-bandwidth customers. In fact, we support many customers in developing countries where bandwidth infrastructure is limited and even there Elluminate works just great. I'd certainly hope you give Elluminate a chance and I know you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks,

Rajeev

PS. My apologies for a bit of a commerical, but just in case you don't know - If you want to just try things, you can try our new free offering called vRoom - signup at http://www.GetvRoom.com.